Friday, May 22, 2015

Home Office/Mudroom Updates Part 2

*Note: This post contains affiliate links which means I receive a small commission if you make a purchase using this link.

As promised, here's part deux of our home office/mudroom updates.  Catch up on part one here.

So I mentioned that I painted the walls Brushed Aluminum by Benjamin Moore.  I would describe the color as a greige with a green tint to it.  It's a lot like "Night Mist" by Benjamin Moore that I used to paint the living room, except not as green.  It's a good neutral.





I took down the closet door and hung a curtain I had on hand.  I have plans to do some open shelving, but for now the curtain hides the scary mess.




The artwork and basket are from Target, and the bench is from HomeGoods. The rug is the Tricia Trellis Indoor/Outdoor Rug from Ballard Designs.  Since we'll use this as our main entrance, I needed a place to wipe our feet but didn't want to give up beauty for function.  Indoor/Outdoor rugs work great!  They stand up to stains really well and are easy to clean.  You can even hose them off if you need to.





I wanted a slightly larger desk than I had before and something with lots of storage.  I had my eyes on the Pottery Barn Bedford Corner Desk for some time.  Fortunately for my wallet, the dimensions were not right.  I ended up buying the Original Home Office Corner Desk from Ballard Designs.  Still not cheap but I caught them on a 20% off sale which made it a bit more palatable. I really do love the desk!   Some time here I will get around to adding some shelving and art above the desk.  Did you notice my pretty chair?





It's the Threshold Brookline Tufted Chair from Target.  I will admit the quality is not great (legs get wobbly and need to be tightened), but I love the pattern.  




I ordered the radiator cover from Finchman.  See my living room post for source. It's nice because I can use it as a shelf too.  I hung a bamboo shade but would love to get some other window treatments up at some point (haven't decided what yet).





The other side of the room is still pretty neglected.  We have plans to add the same board and batten treatment along this wall and I would love to do a built-in bench.  





I painted all of the downstairs doors a taupe color, Raccoon Hollow by Benjamin Moore. All the doors downstairs are pretty beat (I'm thinking they're original to the house), but I kind of like all of their imperfections. 


I have some other completed projects to share (in due time)..two posts in one week...I mean, I'm killing it.


Thursday, May 21, 2015

An apology, a wedding, and a home office makeover

Hello there!  Somehow I managed to take an unplanned 8 month hiatus from this blog shortly after starting it...sorry 'bout that.

I do have one good excuse. In December, Matt asked me to marry him (!) and in April we sealed the deal. A quick 4 month engagement meant drop most home improvement projects and shift time (and money) to wedding planning.  After a week long honeymoon in Turks and Caicos, I'm back home both a couple shades darker and ready to go!


Image courtesy of Nadra Photography


We did manage to get a few projects done around the old house, but it's been slow going.  One of the projects I've been working on is my home office.  Our house technically has 4 bedrooms; two upstairs and two downstairs.  One of the downstairs bedrooms has an exterior door that goes out to a sunroom and then exits to the front of the house.  For that reason, I have a hard time calling it a bedroom and immediately began thinking of other uses for the space.

I work from home every day so a home office was the most natural idea to me.  We have plans to convert the sunroom to a "more welcoming" covered porch since most people's natural tendency is to use this entrance when they arrive.  I figured we could kill two birds with one stone and make the 4th bedroom a home office/mudroom combo.   

Here are some images of the space before we got to work on it.  The first two photos show the exterior door out to the sunroom (dutch door coming to replace it soon!):








And here are few other views of the room:








The space was pretty dark and drab and while functional enough, I did not go to my "happy place" working in here.

The first project we tackled was adding a board and batten wall to hang our coats.






There are a number of DIY tutorials out there and we used lots of those tips to complete this project. We made only a couple of errors measuring and cutting, but all in all it wasn't too hard.  Word of advice - hang the horizontal board first and make sure it's level then do the vertical pieces.  If your floors are a little (or a lot) wonky like ours are, each of the vertical pieces will end up being a different size.




Once we were done hanging all the boards, I caulked all of the joints using a paintable white caulk and then primed and painted (multiple coats) of white paint on both the boards and the wall.




I chose some oil-rubbed bronze coat hooks from Home Depot to finish it off.  





And that's it, folks.  We're done.


Kidding...


I then painted all the walls Brushed Aluminum by Benjamin Moore got a new desk.



Tune in tomorrow for those changes. 


It's sooo good to be back. :)